June 21, 2015

And When Did You Last See Your Father?


Review #713: And When Did You Last See Your Father?

Cast
Jim Broadbent (Arthur Morrison), Colin Firth (Blake Morrison), Juliet Stevenson (Kim Morrison), Gina McKee (Kathy Morrison), Claire Skinner (Gillian), Sarah Lancashire (Beaty), Matthew Beard (Teenage Blake), and Elaine Cassidy (Sandra) Directed by Anand Tucker.

Review
Today is Father's Day. As such, I decided this would be fitting. I've also decided to split the review into two paragraphs, mainly to indicate two feelings of mine today. Anyway, let me get to the movie first. When it comes to 90 minute movies, the good news is that if it is bad, it ends quickly enough. However if the movie is actually pretty decent for itself, then that's just bad news, mainly because you feel disappointed that it's already over. But at least with this movie, I enjoyed the time I had with the film, mainly due to the chemistry that Broadbent and Firth have with each other. Granted, the movie has more to do with flashbacks between Broadbent and Beard's characters, but either way, I enjoy Broadbent mostly because he is really the glue that holds the movie together, and any scene with him has its share of joy but also a tinge of sadness, given the circumstances of the movie's set up, right near the end of his character's life. It's a movie that has beautiful sets and color to it, which I suppose helps make the movie easier to watch. It has its moments of emotion, and while it may seem that there isn't much of a resolution, I suppose that was the point, because ultimately life doesn't always have such endings. But oh well. Is it a perfect film? No, but at least it manages to give you a look into how lives always seem to inter wine with other lives over time, while also being engaging to watch. It's a decent movie that goes with Father's Day and seeing Broadbent and Firth shine together.

Overall, I give it 8 out of 10 stars.

And now, my other thoughts on the day (this is not a continuation of the review, but I wanted to include this for this occasion): I chose this movie mainly because it reminded me of my father and myself in a way. My last day with my father could be either the last time I saw him alive (just a few days before, where we didn't really have much of a conversation), or on his death day, which I would characterize as one of the days I would not wish upon anyone. My father had his secrets, which spilled onto the surface after his death, but they did not make my perception of him negative, rather they made me realize that sometimes even our idols and the people we look up to have their quirks and differences. How we deal with it is what matters. I remember how I used to (lightly) head tap my father when I was younger, and how he used to hold me up and laugh. I remember giving him a card on Father's Day mainly because when you're young, real gifts are hard to imagine both fiscally and feasibly. But he always seemed to like it. He was tempered with anger towards things in his life, and I think I inherited some of that anger towards the little things. But he always seemed to have laughter, too. He was my father, and throughout all of his flaws and quirks, I appreciated what he did for me and my mother. Lastly, I apologize if this went on too long, but I just want to say one last thing: I love you, Dad. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment