August 20, 2012

Movie Night: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.


Review #225: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Cast
William Shatner (James T. Kirk), Leonard Nimoy (Spock), DeForrest Kelley (Leonard McCoy), James Doohan (Montgomery Scott), Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov), Nichelle Nichols (Nyota Uhura), George Takei (Hikaru Sulu), Laurence Luckinbill (Sybok), and David Warner (St. John Talbot) Directed by William Shatner.

Review
Well, well, well. It's been a while since I have reviewed a Star Trek film. A really long while (#9 - Star Trek) Anyway, this is the fifth out of six Star Trek films based on the original series created by Gene Roddenberry (One thing I neglected to mention in the Star Trek review) You might wonder how I found the film. I'm channel surfing at night, and I just so happen to find this film, and I figured, "What could go wrong?" I realized soon after that I might just regret it. Guess who's writing and directing? Shatner, who else? The whole film is a mess, from beginning to end. Its story is lame (Premise in one line: Trying to find "God" at the center of the galaxy), the villain isn't as much a villain as in Vulcan Elvis, and is a disappointment overall. Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley are a good trio, though, and they do have some fun moments, but at other times the film fizzles out. The effects are off at times, especially with the "Impenetrable Barrier" Shatner said this near the film's release, "Star Trek V is the epitome of my career, my experiences, my hopes and dreams. It is the quintessential me" After 23 years, it does represent the feelings I have: Shattered hopes, dull dreams, and reeking of Shatner all over. This nearly killed the franchise, which would have a sequel two years later to hopefully heal the wounds....

Overall, I give it 3 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment