February 6, 2013

Movie Night: Tron: Legacy.


Review #343: Tron: Legacy.

Cast
Jeff Bridges (Kevin Flynn/CLU), Garrett Hedlund (Sam Flynn), Olivia Wilde (Quorra), Bruce Boxleitner (Alan Bradley/Tron), Michael Sheen (Castor/Zuse), James Frain (Jarvis), and Beau Garrett (Gem) Directed by Joseph Kosinski.

Review
I reviewed the original Tron over 200 reviews ago (#098), and I thought that it was a pretty good film with pretty good visuals. 28 years after the original film, there would be a sequel, with Bridges back, in new form...and in oldish form. What I mean that they try to generate a face 30 years ago onto Bridges' body, which is used in flashback sequences and in the main villain, CLU. Geez, you think that he would have a clue by now. The other main character is Flynn's son, and...he's kinda lame. I get what they're trying to do, make him a "rebel", to gain sympathy for him. The problem for me is that it really isn't necessary or...important. At least the film's name isn't "Tron: Son of Flynn", but oh well. How is the film? It's...Give or take. The visuals do have some amazement at times, kind of like the first film. But where liked the first for it having imagination that managed to keep the film running, this is what I like to call off the grid. The concepts are odd and sometimes head hurting. The acting is fine, I liked Bridges and he picks up just where he started all those years ago. The only actor I scratch my head is Michael Sheen. I don't know, maybe its intentional, but good grief, sometimes its just better to be subtle. Speaking of which, there isn't even that much of Tron in this film, which is odd considering half the title is...I don't know, Tron. This is a film that is depends on what you like. Some will go for some effects and some will go for the opportunity to see a long awaited sequel. It may be slightly disappointing as a sequel, but take it for what its worth.

Overall, I give it 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment