December 1, 2015

The Gold Rush.


Review #759: The Gold Rush.

Cast
Charlie Chaplin (The Tramp - The Lone Prospector), Georgia Hale (Georgia), Mack Swain (Big Jim McKay), Tom Murray (Black Larsen), Malcolm Waite (Jack Cameron), and Henry Bergman (Hank Curtis) Directed by Charlie Chaplin (#353 - Monsieur Verdoux, #599 - The Kid and #600 - City Lights)

Review
On my own birthday, I decided to review a movie I knew I might enjoy. In a way, I had built this up by reviewing a Keaton film on Saturday and a Lloyd film on Monday, so I decided to revisit another silent film star, especially such a character like The Tramp. The highlight among all the good gags in the movie is him eating his shoe, mainly because of his reaction to eating what is essentially cooked rubber. I especially love when (BIG JIM) McKay goes crazy and starts imagining Chaplin as a chicken, costume and all...and then telling him that he imagined him as one. The movie is so enjoyable, because the Tramp is such an interesting character to watch walk around the cold along with with the other characters, such as Swain and Murray's characters. Chaplin directed, wrote, produced, and edited this movie, which is really impressive. The cast is interesting, especially Swain as (BIG JIM) McKay, who certain looks and fits the role of second fiddle to Chaplin. It's interesting how the Klondike sets were really just sets on the back lot and stages at Chaplin's studio, because they look really impressive in terms of how ram-shackled they are. The movie has good laughs, tinges of suspense, and a fine balance of drama that make for a wholly compelling movie. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to have some cake.

Overall, I give it 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment