May 13, 2013

Movie Night: Rise of the Guardians.


Review #378: Rise of the Guardians.

Cast
Chris Pine (Jack Frost), Alec Baldwin (Santa Claus), Hugh Jackman (Easter Bunny), Isla Fisher (Tooth Fairy), Jude Law (Pitch Black/The Boogeyman), and Dakota Goyo (Jamie Bennett). Directed by Peter Ramsey.

Review
Before I begin, I'll mention that this was based off the book series by William Joyce, and this seems to be a trend for Dreamworks, making movies based off books (Shrek, Over the Hedge, though that was a comic strip and How to Train Your Dragon), and this seems to be working well, and I'm not going to lie, I like this film. Honestly, I didn't really expect too much from the film, I thought it would be a flick just for kids that didn't have too much. It managed to override the expectations. The casting works well, especially with Chris Pine and oddly enough, Alec Baldwin. The jokes work fine, but they don't form the base of the film, that's where the fantasy comes in, and the story works well enough to keep you interested in what's going on. The animation works well because it also keep the suspense going, conveying the story at a decent pace. For a 97 minute film, it keeps a fine pace, and it sets up the possibility for more, because...I like where this is going. That's what films sometimes do, making the viewer hungering for more because they know the story has only just begun, not just wanting a rehash. But then maybe that's just me. But still, this is a good film that entertains well and finishes well.

Overall, I give it 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment